Monday, June 27, 2011

All in the Details

If you've never participated in the Susan G. Komen 3 Day for the Cure you don't really know what to expect when it comes to the 3 Day camp. For me, it was the sea of pink tents and shower trucks (well stocked with HOT water) that surprised me the most.

One detail that I hadn't really th
ought about much before my first event (Atlanta 2008) was tent decorations. I had so much to think about like planning for poor weather and traveling from Arkansas for the walk that I didn't really think much about decorating until the last minute.

Why Decorate?

There are a few reasons to consider decorating your tent. One, there is a prize for the best decorations. Second, its a fun way to represent your team at camp. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, it will help you find your tent in a sea of identical tents. If you uniquely decorate your tent it will greatly lessen your chance of returning to the wrong tent after a 2 am bathroom break. Your startled tent neighbors will thank you.

How to Decorate

When it comes to decorate your tent, the sky really is the limit. Something as little and as simple as attaching a glow stick or as big and complex as an over-sized stuffed bra will do the job. Start thinking now and be creative! maybe you'll win something. Just remember, you have to pack your supplies into your gear bag taking care to stay under your weight limit.

Examples
In 2008, I asked my mom to help us with decorations. My request was for it to have something reflective on it (to make it easie
r to be seen with our flashlight) and to use Florida State colors because Crystal is a big fan. This is what she made us!





(a far away shot...and yes I kno
w I look grumpy, this was after 40 miles and I was in a bit of pain). Here is an up close shot.





She used her hands as tracers and wrote on them "the journey is always shorter with friends by your side". I can't agree more!




Fast forward two years. For the
2010 3 Day I decided to make the decorations myself. We had 4 people on our team so I needed to make decorations for two tents. I decided to elaborate on our team name "My Racky Freedom". I found some camouflage fabric and added some pink and reflective touches to it. There was no mistaking who the occupants of these tents were!
















The last example I have for you comes from the 2010 Twin Cities 3 Day. My Little Rock walking buddy traveled to that walk to participate with her mom and a family friend. She's very crafty and was able to create this awesome decoration. I think it speaks for itself. Erin is a military spouse and is now living in Germany and I miss them very much! Love you guys!









Some things to remember about decorating: have fun with it! Pack light and don't stress too much about it. And remember that duct tape and clothes pins are your friend (although that rule definitely applies to more at the 3 Day than just decorating).

Have any decorating questions? Comment below, I'd be happy to help!
I hope you are having a great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment