Thursday, October 13, 2011

3-Day Packing, pt. 2

Have you started to thinking about packing and what you are going to wear for the Atlanta 3-Day yet?  (Be sure to check the complete pack list) The one challenge that the Atlanta walk has is that October weather can be very unpredictable. We have trained all spring and summer in shorts and tanks, and now it looks like we will be trading them in for tights and under armor! Keep an eye on the forecast this week, so we can all be better prepared and avoid last minute frantic shopping trips!

A few tips on what and how to pack your bag!
Even though, we are not camping outdoors, I still plan to use the traditional 3-Day ziplock method! Ziplock method is simply putting everything in ziplock bags to protect your shoes, clothing, sleeping bag, etc. from getting wet from camping. Hopefully, we won't be worrying about gear getting wet, but using the ziplocks are a quick and easy way to find exactly what you need! I pack my clothes by day and label each bag.  Right now in each bag, I have tights, shorts, under armour, t-shirt, 3 pairs of socks (1 to put on and 2 new pairs for the pack) gloves, hot hands and an optional jacket and hat in another bag! My second pair of shoes go in a bag, so I can swap out my shoes and put the old ones in the bag after the switch. This helps, because if they are dirty or wet they won't harm the rest of my gear.
I also have found this method is useful in helping to make your trip to the shower truck easier! On Friday when you arrive at camp, you will pick up your bag, put your tent together, and then you will be ready for a shower. Grab you PJ bag, toiletry bag and shower shoes, throw them in your shower back pack, head to towel pick up and the shower truck! Then dirty clothes into the PJ bag and back to your tent!
One type of item that you should avoid packing is a hair dryer/flat iron/curlers! We may be camping "indoors", but this doesn't mean unlimited outlets! You also don't want to be that person blow drying your hair while others need to brush their teeth so they can get to bed. I know this sounds gross, but I don't wash my hair during the event. I have long thick hair, that takes 20+ minutes with a hair dryer, and I'm not one to air dry my hair. My hair goes in a bun and I wear a hat or the seamless wrap. After all, we're not walking to show off our hair styles!

Be sure you are prepared with a couple under armour shirts. Layers are key! Typically, I will wear a tank, under armor, t-shirt, shorts and gloves with a hot hand. If its really cold (45 degrees or below) you'll see me in tights with a jacket too! As the day goes on and temperatures climb I will take the under armor and/or tights off and throw it in my pack and tie my jacket to my pack. I've also been known to hand off layers to the husband or my parents if I see them at a cheering station to keep my pack light! Hopefully, we won't need this many layers and this won't be an issue! Previous years, we have walked past tons of shops we could make a quick stop and buy whatever we needed. With the new route, we might not have this option.



Even though, we are camping indoors, I'm still bringing my air mattress, sleeping bag and head lamp.  Don't forget to work on your tent decorations too! Erin wrote a great post about camp details!

 

1 comment:

  1. please post more helpful information, this thing works than directly going to an sports store

    ReplyDelete