Monday, August 1, 2011

How far have I walked?

As we are approaching the 2011 Atlanta 3-Day, our training plan mileage is climbing.  By now you've probably found a few walking routes and you know the mileage. With those miles increasing, I know the repetition of routes are getting pretty boring. I've been there! In the past, I used to plan out routes using Google Pedometer. It works, but it takes a little bit of time, you have to remember the route, and sometimes  your route changes mid-walk and your left to estimate your miles. Not that this is a bad thing, but there is a way to take out the guess work, allows for route planning, and gives you the ability to just walk. Meet the GPS watch! 
 I own the Garmin Forerunner 305. (Best Christmas present ever!) There are several different models of this watch, and several other brands you can check out at your local running store or sporting goods store. This watch is my insurance when I walk and has made a huge difference with training walks. While training this year, I can tell you I am getting extra  mileage in, and often if I am without my watch, even on those usual routes, I feel lost. 


After walks I download my stats. I am able to see my route, and can even sync it with Google Maps. I can also see that I am staying with Komen's recommendations for mileage time and pace.
 On Sunday, my teammate and friend, Amy & I walked 12.03 miles in 3 hours and 46 minutes. Our average pace was 18:49 minutes per mile with an average speed of 3.2mph. We burned 733 calories, and as you can tell from the chart, we had a pretty hilly walk towards the end!
If you do best by mapping out a route instead of using a watch, go for it and keep it up! The gps watch just takes out the guess work and allows you to walk with assurance that you are getting those miles.

Happy Training! 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment