Sunday, March 20, 2011

The 3 Days

I know I have been hyping the 3-day a lot lately, and I am sure my facebook friends are tired of me linking these blog posts.  I say too bad, so ignore them if you don't like them.  :) I know I've reached at least one of my 300 or so friends,  and maybe I can reach another one! (Hi Karen Ann!)

I recently heard someone say, the SGK 3-Day is 3 days where the world acts the way it should. This couldn't be more true. There are so many random acts of kindness everywhere, for example:  traffic is stopped for you,  you can eat string cheese and grahamwiches on the way, police officers wear bras outside their clothes, the scouts set up your pink tents,  people dance in the street and you have cheerleaders all along the way. In fact, it is hard to go back to your normal every day routine after you finish the walk. These are just a few examples of how the community comes out to support you, to cheer you on, to help you when you need it all 3 days! You become a family with all the walkers, you swap stories and jokes and you truly become a different person. During your journey, you may reach points where you get tired, but something like this will keep you going:
A local elementary school came out and cheered us on all day in 2010! They all had made pink crowns and signs for us. Everyone of them gave us a high five and many had personal messages for us!

I always thank everyone I see, the crew, the medical staff, the scouts, the person handing out tissues, even the barista in Starbucks for their generosity, and in return they thank me. It is hard to accept their thanks, because all I am doing is walking.  They are the ones that have gotten us all here,  through support and donations are keeping us all going. All the while, some are having to endure treatments.  They (you) are the ones that need to be thanked! We are here because we all believe that together we can are finding the cure.


Watch this clip, and you will see what I am talking about! Oh... and look close, just after the minute mark you may see someone you recognize!
For 3 days we are in a world that we don't allow cancer to exist.  Through our efforts, I know that in one day we will all be able to enjoy a lifetime without breast cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment