Thursday, March 3, 2011

I think I want to sign up?

You've seen the commercials on tv, you've shed a few tears, you have a personal connection with breast cancer, but your still not sure. Maybe its the mileage or maybe its the $2,300 fundraising minimum that scares you. I'm right there with you, or at least I was 4 years ago when I signed up for my first 3-Day. I was intimidated and I also didn't have a clue about what I was signing up for either. I just knew I wanted to make a difference.  I didn't know anything about the message boards for walkers, the share list, I had only camped one other time in my life, I had a port-a-potty phobia and in fact I never even watched the dvd that Komen sent me. I knew about some of the tricks from my walking partner Erin, who's dad walked when Avon sponsored the walk. For example the shower cap trick to keep your feet dry when it rains, or the body glide/Vaseline for your feet to prevent blisters or the importance of zip lock bags. But other than that, I really wasn't sure what to expect or how to fundraise other than asking family and friends. My how all of that has changed!

Want to know how you can find out all of this information and more? Go to a Get Started Meeting. Take a note pad with you too, because you will get a wealth of information. Everything from tips on fundraising, travel logistics to what the best type clothes are to the importance of proper shoe fittings. Last year I got an email asking if I would volunteer to help out at a meeting. I was amazed at the information that you could get from these meetings and how many questions were answered. Had I been brave enough to attend one of these meetings in 2008, so many of my fears and anxiety about the walk and fundraising would have never been a thought. I was even more amazed that out of the 30 in attendance 27 signed up right on the spot. (The 3 others had already signed up online!)

Speaking of volunteering, I will be at three Get Started Meetings in March and I can't wait! I love to talk about the 3-Day... I even think I had to be cut short a couple of times at the meeting I attended last year because of time constraints. (I managed to get that gene from my dad, you know the one that can talk to a brick wall. Hi, thats me!)

Need more motivation? Be sure you pick up a copy of Nancy Brinkers book, Promise Me. Until I read this book, I was not informed on how SGK for the Cure came to form. I knew that Susan Komen has passed away in her 30's from breast cancer and her sister started this organization, but seriously thats all I knew. This book is not just for a walker, but for all who know the power of the pink. When you finish the book, I can guarantee you'll be hooked and signing up. Nancy Brinker is proof that it just takes one person to make a difference. (And what a difference she has made!)  Between a Get Started Meeting and reading this book, I don't know how you couldn't sign up.

No comments:

Post a Comment