Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ambassadorship

This week I was honored with the title of being Susan G. Komen for the Cure Ambassador. What is an Ambassador, you ask? It is now my job to use social media (and more) to keep you up to date on 3-Day happenings! Hopefully, I can recruit a few new walkers along the way. It is possible that I have added more to my plate by taking this on, or maybe I am just doing something I should have been doing all along.

It is hard to believe that I am going into my 3rd year of walking and I am still getting blank stares when I talk about the 3-Day. I understand questions that come from strangers, but not my friends and family. They see my countless posts on facebook, wearing pink almost every day, they even ask  how my mom is doing, but some still don't get fully understand about what it means to be a walker. Maybe talking about Breasts is taboo? My response, you have yet to know the power of pink.  I've heard it all, such as:  You walk 60 miles, all in one day? How do you raise $2,300? You camp, how? Do you have to carry your luggage with you? How do you take a shower? Do you have to pack a lunch? Where do you go to the bathroom? Do you change shoes? And my favorite, why would you put yourself through this? You may have some of these same questions, so let me answer them.

I'd like to start by giving you a little bit of history. 30 years ago Nancy Brinker made a promise to her dying sister, Susan G. Komen. Her promise was to do everything in her power to end breast cancer. In 1983 a foundation was established. Through many grassroots endeavors Susan G. Komen for the cure has invested over 2 billion dollars for research, education, advocacy, health services and social support programs in the United States. I know for a fact that if it wasn't for Susan and Nancy the advances in breast health would be no where near todays standards. 

Yes, I walk 60 miles. On average 20 miles  a day for 3 days. We walk about 3 miles, and we stop for snacks and restroom breaks, then we walk 3 or so more and stop again, then 3 more miles and we stop for lunch, walk a few more miles, stop for snacks again until we have completed the 20 miles. Bathrooms, port-a-potties. If you know me, this may come as a surprise, but hey its not that bad! You get over the Eww factor pretty quick. When we are done for the day we find our luggage that the crew has so generously organized, and we build a tent. Not just any tent, but a pink tent! Some may ask, where to do find the energy to build a tent after walking 20 miles? Well, where does a cancer patient find their energy after a chemo treatment? You just do it (plus a lot of times you have sweet Girl Scouts and/or Boy Scouts helping you out!) After you get settled, you head over to the shower trucks, along the way you stop to cheer on more walkers who are ending the day! Yes I did say 'shower truck.' Again, if you know me I bet I know what you are thinking, but these shower trucks are not just any shower. In your private stall you have perfectly hot showers with amazing water pressure. Then its off to dinner, entertainment, and then bed. And repeat.


Why would I put myself through this? Why wouldn't I? If you knew that you could make a difference in the world, why wouldn't you participate? Breast Cancer has touched my life, and I feel a need to fight back. Every walker must raise a minimum of $2,300. In the scheme of things, $2,300 is nothing. Any donation made is the one that will find the cure. And think about it, a cure for breast cancer, is a cure for all cancer.  Imagine a world with out cancer. Together we can make this happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment